Click to browser Tools
Sales 800-524-9783Mon-Fri. Sales 10am - 5pm eastern Time or stimulate on-line anytime. Call with inquiries on application.
You are watching: 2003 mitsubishi galant timing belt replacement
Timing Belt instead of 2.4 Mitsubishi – Questions and also AnswersAugust 29, 20091:46 pmdennisb - Auto tool SalesDIY, how To Auto Repair, Mistubishi, time Belt
The Mitsubishi 2.4 Liter SOHC engine is used in the Eclipse, Galant and also Outlander. Many civilization are unaware that the engine is likewise used in the Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Stratus. It’s necessary to know that the 2.4 is an interference engine that may finish up v bent valves and possibly damaged pistons if the timing belt strips or breaks throughout driving. The motor includes a key timing belt and a smaller balance obelisk belt. Both of these should be replaced at the very same time. The manufacturer recommended replacement interval is every 60,000 miles.
The project of instead of the time belts on just around any engine is usually the same, nevertheless of which car it is in.
There are several precautions store in mind. It’s always best to disconnect the battery’s soil cable, carry out not revolve the crank obelisk or camshaft through the timing belt removed. Some human being prefer to eliminate the spark plugs to make the engine less complicated to rotate although this is not necessary. Turn the crank tower in the regular direction that rotation which is clockwise. Execute not try to rotate the crankshaft by transforming the camshaft bolt. It’s always best to usage tightening talk specifications provided by the manufacturer.
1. Raise and also support the vehicle. If doing this at residence use a floor jack and also jack means safety. Then the right front wheel is removed and then the splash shield. It‘s easiest to loosen the water pump bolts before removing the accessory belts, otherwise the whole pulley will turn. Then eliminate the alternator, AC and also power steering belts. After the belts are removed the top timing cover have the right to be bring away off.
2. Always start v the engine at top dead facility compression stroke through the timing marks aligned. Uncover top dead facility by removing the #1 spark plug i m sorry is closest to the prior of the engine and placing a driver or 1/4″ expansion down the hole. Turn the crank slowly and also make sure it doesn’t tie – as soon as the device that was put reaches the highest point, height dead facility is reached. Verify through marks.
3. Towards the engine v a block of wood on the floor jack positioned under the oil pan. When the engine is lifted up slightly a engine mount have the right to then it is in removed.
4. Leave the main crankshaft bolt in place. Eliminate the smaller bolts stop the crank wheel in ar pulley to the side. Then eliminate the reduced timing belt cover.
5. Currently look because that the time belt marks and make certain they space aligned. I recommend making few of your own marks as well with white touch up repaint or white out. Of food this will certainly not be possible if instead of a damaged or stripped belt. Yet when instead of a belt for maintenance I favor the extr assurance, that the extra marks provide me.
6. The key belt’s tensioner is hydraulic. The 12 mm bolts space removed and also then that tensioner can be inserted in a bench angry to be compressed. The pen to hold a tensioner in place is sometimes referred come by mechanics together grenade pins. Periodically a little drill bit can be used rather of the certain pin. If you room replacing a tensioner it will come through the exactly pin.
Continued on page 2.
Name or nickname (NOT an SEO term)
Email (will not be shared)
Your Website (Not required)Tell us your think or questioning a question. For best results please carry out relevant details choose your vehicle"s year, make, model, engine size, the problem and also when it wake up etc. - Comments must be approved before they are seen by everyone. Notification we don"t article Spam. Comment listed below (*SPAM, every CAPS & unrelated comments will certainly be deleted). Click the following to watch Dennis" "about page" for info on his background in automotive repair.
See more: What Is The Length Of One Leg Of The Triangle? ? The Hypotenuse Of A Triangle Is 26 Feet Long
Please note: your comment will certainly not it is in posted until it"s approved. We appreciate and read all on topic, relevant comments. You re welcome don"t ask for repair manual info like talk specs, wiring diagrams and specific repair procedures. If rapid assistance is needed with purchase a device or part, you re welcome visit our device website centregalilee.com or speak to to ar an order at 800-524-9783. *Note we don"t market repair advice ~ above the phone.