≈ Comments turn off on execute you constantly divide the larger number through the smallernumber?
A typical misconception among students is that, as soon as dividing, you constantly put the larger number first. When this ide “sticks”, that is extremely challenging to undo later on when students discover that you can, in fact, divide a smaller number by a larger one. Some examples that young students deserve to understand are having actually 2 pounds that dog food that has to be split amongst the 6 dog in the pet shop, or 4 candy bars that have to be split among 10 children. Working on equal sharing cases like this helps students build the number sense to at some point handle operations v fractions.
You are watching: How to divide a smaller number by a bigger number
One way to avoid the misconception of placing the larger number very first is to focus instead top top the components of an same sharing problem. These problems involve three countable quantities: the variety of groups, the size of each group, and also the whole. Have students model and solve the three troubles below:
1) Eva has actually 3 plates. She put 5 cookies on every plate. How many cookies walk Eva have?
2) Eva has actually 15 cookies. She wants to placed 5 cookie on every plate. How plenty of plates will certainly Eva need?
3) Eva has actually 15 cookies. She desires to placed the same number of cookies on 3 plates. How countless cookies have the right to Eva put on each plate?
Have the students compare the three problems, note what is different about every situation. Emphasis on what the numbers represent, on which quantities are known and also which are unknown. Construct the principle that an unknown whole calls for multiplication, if an unknown number of groups or size of group calls for department of the totality by either the dimension of the team or the variety of groups. Emphasize the it is the whole that is being split – which might usually be the larger number yet does not have to be.
Next have actually the students occupational the adhering to problems:
Tell what is unknown in each problem. Then fix the problem.
1) Amy has actually 16 quarters. If each video clip game an equipment takes 2 quarters, how countless games have the right to she play?
__________________ is unknown. She can play ___________ games.
2) Sue has actually 4 bags of marbles. There room 5 marbles in each bag. How countless marbles does Sue have all together?
____________ is unknown. Sue has actually _____________ marbles every together.
3) Sue’s class has 21 students. There room 7 students at each center. How countless centers are there?
____________________ is unknown. There space _____________ centers.
4) Sue has actually 24 candies. She wants to share castle equally amongst 4 friends. How plenty of candies will each friend receive?
_____________ is unknown. Each girlfriend will receive __________ candies.
5) There space 15 fish in the pet keep that are split equally into 3 fish tanks. How many fish space in every tank?
_______________ is unknown. There space ____________ fish in each tank.
See more: How To Find The Mass Of An Irregular Object ? Q & A: Density Of An Irregular Shape
Finally, have actually students write and solve their own problems. Ask that they write one difficulty of every type.